Thursday 1 December 2011

EUREKA! Desktop Chaos Cured!

Finally some time to play around on Ubuntu 11.10.  Wasn't all fun and games, solved an annoying "issue" I'd been having created a few weeks ago.


For a reason unbeknownst to me, all folders in the home directory were displaying on my desktop.  The desktop folder was empty so I could not for the life of me work out what was going on...

I did note that the mysterious appearance of folders on my desktop commenced after changing all the folder names from capital letters to lower case letters.

Google is my friend!  Had a quick look at ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

Shall we play a game of spot the difference?



<<
This is what my file looked like... oops!






>>
This is how it looks now... yay!





So it turns out that, when I renamed my folders using "mv" the user-dirs.dirs wasn't happy and automatically selected my desktop as it's default directory path for everything!  Most annoying.

Very simple solution, for a very simple mistake.

"Why are my folders appearing on my desktop - Ubuntu"

2 comments:

  1. Was it because all entries were defined as identical value? Or is this due to moving directories in a way that the file manager isn't capable of tracking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, way to ask too many questions I don't have the answers to!

    I think it was because I renamed specifically the Desktop folder using the mv command and it didn't update the user-dir.dir file with a full path and thus defaulting the home directory to my desktop. I think, I dunno will have to talk to my geeks :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, at this stage all comments are being moderated.

Once your comment has been viewed and approved it will become visible to the public.