Saturday 12 November 2011

Recent Geekery Lessons.

My most recent geekery lesson included;
  • apt-get - installing and updating software
  • apt-cache - help finding software you don't exactly know the name of
  • irssi - basic navigation and the /help file
  • ssh refresher and screen 
  • VI - navigating and how to's.
  • ED - navigating and just more of a historical need to know. (I'll stick with vi for the moment, kthx)
  • Counting in binary & hex
  • The history of Unix - this will have to be revisited again, I can't recall much of those conversations
  • C - it's uses and it's creators
I have been downloading programs left, right and center. Chromium browser, pidgin, GIMP (I LOVE this program), htop, deluge, tweetdeck (including apache air), Inkscape (although I haven't used it much) and I've also upgraded Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04.

I've also been playing with adding and removing users, using a variety of methods as well as learning how to give and take permissions.

In June - July this year I created my first website (since 2001 html geocities site) using Drupal for my business.  I've learned a lot since I created that website and already I want to give it a revamp.  This was done on a windows machine, so I'm rather excited to start creating a localhost on the Ubuntu box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, at this stage all comments are being moderated.

Once your comment has been viewed and approved it will become visible to the public.